hulse

hulse

Monday, June 22, 2009

hooray for good news

i've been wanting to write about this for a while, but i haven't been sure how to approach it. after some good news today, i thought i'd go ahead and share.
a few weeks ago, i had my first mammogram. it wasn't a big deal and the nurse told me that they might call me to come in for more x-rays because it was my first and they like to get a good baseline to compare upcoming x-rays with. when i returned home, i had a call to please come back in for more x-rays and then the doctor would talk to me. i felt a little nervous about that, but scheduled an appointment for the following week.
the next week, i went in and the x-ray tech/nurse lady told me that they wanted to get more pictures of a spot they saw. i asked if i should be concerned and she told me she wasn't really sure but that's why they needed more pictures.
shortly after, i saw the radiologist and she showed me some films. she showed me some tiny white dots and told me they were calcifications. they could be nothing or they could be breast cancer. she called my doctor and we agreed to schedule a core biopsy for that afternoon.
i left there feeling like my head would explode at any minute!
ryan and i returned later that afternoon for a core biopsy. they actually removed all the calcifications and took more x-rays and inserted a "clip". they put in a microscopic "clip" that will allow the area they've biopsied to be marked for future reference, if needed. we were told they'd try to have the results before the weekend.
my doctor called and left a voice mail saying that we needed to schedule another biopsy where they remove the surrounding tissue to be sure the cancer hasn't spread. we were able to have this done last wednesday. today we received word that the cancer was contained in the calcifications and has not spread!
the next step will be to have a month's worth of radiation therapy. once i complete that, i will be checked in 6 months and then hopefully just yearly.
so, besides this post being a rundown of my past few weeks, i also wanted to emphasize how important it is to have a mammogram and any other regular tests done on a regular basis.
luckily, my doctor recommends mammograms begin at age 35. generally, 40 is the recommended age to begin mammograms. had i waited 5 more years, we don't know if the cancer would have stayed contained. it is possible that the cancer would still be contained, but it is also possible that it would have spread.
i feel very blessed to have had such an early detection and to be in western new york with a great doctor and a radiologist that has done amazing work. my radiologist actually created the core biopsy method that was used for my first biopsy.
i also would like to say thank you from the very bottom of my heart for the most amazing, wonderful, loving people in my life. i've had lots of love and prayers and good will sent my way and i am truly appreciative.
so, please get those breasts checked out...by a doctor of course. you see, i still have my sometimes inappropriate humor in tact!

12 comments:

kristenita said...

Amy!! Scary! I'm so glad everything is ok & that you they found those spots so early. 35 it is!!

Kara and the girls~ said...

Amy, I love you so much and am so thankful that you are okay- i hope you are keeping good thoughts and that the radiation will be over with before you know it! I love you forever sis!

Megan Jo Eddie said...

I love you so much my dear sweet sister. There is no one like you! How do you always remain so positive? Well, I've cried enough for both of us. I'll be there so soon to help do anything you need. Love you Ame!

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

You have been on my mind! What a huge relief for you! I can't imagine what must have been going through your mind. When you told me you were getting a mammogram I thought to myself she's not 40! I am so glad you did and I will definatly not wait until then! What a huge blessing and I am so glad everything is ok!!!

wurtz said...

Ames, that is good news! I'm glad everything is okay. I send you nothing but good wishes and tons of love!

Natalie said...

I am so glad everything turned out good!!

CJB said...

oh my goodness, oh my goodness (in the voice of little orphan Annie) that sucks to have such a scare but so glad its not as bad as it could have been. I have a friend recently diagnosed and treated for the big C and she did an awareness campaign called "Make a case for second base" for some "help" in the detection. LOL.

Brad, Emily, Mya said...

Amy,
Wanted to let you know we had been thinking about you and are thankful that you are doing good. We can't wait to see you guys next week! Love you, Brad, Emily, & Mya

Unknown said...

WHAT THE??????
That is a bit traumatizing! I had no idea... thus my walk past you on Sunday like all was well!!!
I wish I'd have known and I would've given you a big fat hug!!!
Oh my stars! I'm glad you are okay, and that you detected early.
WHAT THE???????? Still shocking to me...

Alice said...

THAT is scary! We are way too young for this kind of stuff! I didn't know we should start having mamograms so early! I am sure glad that you did! I hope all is well. Keep your positive attitude!

Shannon said...

WOW, I'm so glad that your doctor recommended you to have a mammogram early and that they were able to get it all early! What a true blessing! Take care!

The Gurrs said...

My beautiful, wonderful Amy. I am so glad you are ok! What a scary experience! You definitely have angels watching over you! And you are such a beautiful person inside and out that we all need you here to keep teaching us how to be kind and loving.

I love you and we're praying for you!