hulse

hulse

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

book class

my friend, cynthia, asked if i'd like to help her teach a children's book class at the library over the course of a few weeks this summer. i was soooo excited because it was just the type of thing i'd been wanting to do. cynthia has a master's degree in something amazing, that relates to libraries and rare books, etc. she has worked in nyc and even in germany on a book exhibit. anyway, she has lots of knowledge and it was super fun to help her come up with cute books for the kids to make. the only class i took pictures during...
the kids in the photo above are guessing which example is moveable type.
in the photo above, we had the kids play a game as if they were the moveable type. we gave them letters and they had to unscramble them to make a word. they were super smart and figured them all out!

above is my friend cynthia showing something to the kids and there's my little pink-shirted lady with the blond ponytail!
the kids were totally and completely interested in every single class. they learned to make "hot-dog" books, an accordian book, an ice cream cone book, and even a little suitcase book to keep their ticket stubs from summer activities they've done.
aftie and ella loved the classes also! afton made a book about her talents. ella made a cute ice cream cone book with her three favorite flavors of ice cream. even grammy was able to come to a class and learned how to make some books. it was a fun way to spend a few summer days!


2 comments:

Natalie said...

That sounds like fun! I want to make a suitcase book!

AshleyFamily said...

So that's what you've been doing in and out of the library on Mondays?! And I just go and yell at my children to stop chasing shrieking while chasing each other so I can pick out 10 more books for two bike raffle tickets before they kick us out... I just love how this serenity overcomes me any time I look at pictures of your girls (or them in real life) and I wonder how it would be to live in a state of such mellow zen. Kudos to you!